It was bound to happen.
Rex Reed reviews Django Unchained.
Grantland has a big review of Django Unchained.
This is a really bad idea. All it does is embolden those folks among us that would censor our movies, music and television shows based on the misguided opinion that if only we never saw fictional violence depicted, there would be less real violence in the world.
The Weinstein Company is the latest to curtail the festivities on a holiday season film because of the Connecticut massacre. An LA premiere had been scheduled tomorrow night for the Quentin Tarantino-directed Django Unchained. The film will still be shown, but there will be no red carpet and invited press is being asked to attend a different screening.
Its a predictable and repeating story over the last two decades. When horrible killings happen, Tarantino’s name gets stuck into the news articles. Now that we’ve had an episode with another violent Tarantino ready to released, the blame game is in full effect.
Jamie Foxx talking Django Unchained on SNL.
Django Unchained final running time confirmed at 2:45.
Tarantino: It’s not a big deal. I didn’t want a three-hour movie, either. It’s a big epic and everything, so I figured it would be around 2:45, and that’s what it is. When you’re cutting it down, at that moment in time, before you watch it with an audience, you know it’s too long, but you can’t imagine taking anything out. So then you watch it with an audience, and then all of a sudden — “Oh, wow, that is kind of boring now!” or “No, this is not as suspenseful by the time we got to it as it needs to be.” But you can only go so far in the Avid room on your own. At some point, you have to watch it with an audience. And then literally 15 minutes just come flying out, where before you couldn’t imagine a minute leaving. (Laughter.)
The soundtrack for Django Unchained has been revealed. Notably, no Frank Ocean song.
2. DJANGO (MAIN THEME) – LUIS BACALOV, ROCKY ROBERTS
3. THE BRAYING MULE – ENNIO MORRICONE
4. IN THAT CASE, DJANGO, AFTER YOU…
5. LO CHIAMAVANO KING (HIS NAME IS KING) – LUIS BACALOV, EDDA DELL’ORSO
6. FREEDOM – ANTHONY HAMILTON & ELAYNA BOYNTON
7. FIVE-THOUSAND-DOLLAR NIGGA’S AND GUMMY MOUTH BITCHES
8. LA CORSA (2ND VERSION) – LUIS BACALOV
9. SNEAKY SCHULTZ AND THE DEMISE OF SHARP
10. I GOT A NAME – JIM CROCE
11. I GIORNI DELL’IRA – RIZ ORTOLANI
12. 100 BLACK COFFINS – RICK ROSS
13. NICARAGUA – JERRY GOLDSMITH FEATURING PAT METHENY
14. HILDI’S HOT BOX
15. SISTER SARA’S THEME – ENNIO MORRICONE
16. ANCORA QUI – ENNIO MORRICONE AND ELISA
17. UNCHAINED (THE PAYBACK/UNTOUCHABLE) – JAMES BROWN AND 2PAC
18. WHO DID THAT TO YOU? – JOHN LEGEND
19. TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG – BROTHER DEGE
20. STEPHEN THE POKER PLAYER
21. UN MONUMENTO – ENNIO MORRICONE
22. SIX SHOTS TWO GUNS
23. TRINITY (TITOLI) – ANNIBALE E I CANTORI MODERNI
Jamie Foxx will be the SNL host on December 8th. Look for some Django Unchained skits.